FAQs

FAQS

What is 925 sterling silver?

925 sterling silver is 92.5% silver mixed with copper and zinc (the other 7.5%) to make it stronger, pure 999 silver is very soft and is rarely used for small jewellery pieces.

Why has your website changed?

We have moved our website from bigcommerce over to shopify because bigcommerce no longer suits our needs. It’s something we have needed to do for a long time but it’s so scary because you don't know the impact (good or bad) it will have on your business, but we reached a point where it was make or break. 

Why can't I log into my account?

Unfortunately, we couldn't move customer accounts over to shopify so you will need to create a new one. It only takes a minute. Sorry for the inconvenience but that’s one of the things we have to give up with the move.

Can I get clip on earrings?

Of course! we can change our earrings to clip on or swap wires e.g. you want hook wires on a pair that have the kidney/loop wires. Just send us a message using the button in the bottom right hand corner or an email us at orderinfo@sourcherry.co.uk.

My Item is faulty, what should I do.

We're so sorry your item is faulty, we work really hard to check all of our pieces, those made in house and the pieces we outsource. If you purchased your item online please email us at orderinfo@sourcherry.co.uk and someone will get back to you as soon as possible. If you purchased your item in the shop, please bring it back in with proof of purchase and we can get that replaced or refunded for you. If you don't have proof of purchase, we cannot refund the item, but we may be able to repair it.

How long does delivery take?

We aim to pack and ship all orders within 3 working days but this may take longer at busier times. UK delivery should be within 3 working days for signed for and next working day for special delivery.

Please note we pack orders through the day and they are dropped off the next working day to the post office so if you order on a Sunday, your order should be picked and packed Monday, you will receive a tracking number and then your order should be dropped off Tuesday then your tracking will be activated.